Skip to Content

Fuel Inspect Label 001A chilling email came in just two days ago from one of my editors at Soundings about a NJ marine tech that has been badly burnt due to an apparent fuel system leak on a customer’s boat. The label above is a sample from ABYC Standard H-24 covering gasoline fuel systems.

I really do believe that technicians and servicing dealers and boatyards simply do not take this ABYC recommendation seriously enough.

The bottom line is that most fuel system service occurs only after the smell of fuel. Unfortunately, in this case it was too late. If you can help here, I’m sure it would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings All,

Kevin McDermitt a fellow boat mechanic was involved in a very serious accident while working on a customer’s boat on Monday April 6, 2015 in Brick, NJ.

Kevin was working on a vessel that was dry-docked in a garage at the marina. He was using a heat gun to fix a transducer under the deck of the vessel in the stern area. As he went to turn on an electric heat gun, he detected the odor of gasoline and suddenly an explosion occurred.

You can read about the man burned in the fire at Brick Mariana here.

Kevin was transported by Medevac from the scene and remains in the ICU of the burn unit at Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, NJ. As a result of the explosion, Kevin is suffering from 2nd and 3rd degree burns to his arms, hands and the entire right side of his face. His pain is being managed and he is expected to be in the hospital for a minimum of 2 weeks. After his release from the hospital, he will have a much longer recovery time at home.

Kevin is a well-known and respected Marine Mechanic and Marine Electronics Installer in the boating community on the NJ Shore. He owned and operated his own business KB Marine Service for the last 5 years.

Kevin, his girlfriend Erica and their 2-year-old son Drew live in Toms River. Kevin works harder than anyone I know to make ends meet and meet his obligations to his family, as well as, to be able to provide the best life he can for his son Drew.

A Gofundme campaign has been set up to help with Kevin’s medical expenses. if there is any way you can donate today  please follow the link above.

Please see link below:

http://www.gofundme.com/r8jg8uw

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Be the First!

Leave a Reply


Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_User could not be converted to string in /home/content/79/11435379/html/wp-content/themes/linenity/comments.php on line 90